Do you think that the ten avatars of the God Vishnu (as per the Hindu Puranas) loosely resemble the living creature’s journey from a primitive organism to a fully evolved spiritual human being?
- Matsya: the fish, (first living creature in water)
- Kurma: the tortoise, (making a transition from water to land)
- Varaha: the boar, (living completely on land)
- Narsimha: the half man, half lion (making another transition from animal to human)
- Vamana: the dwarf man, (an “under-developed” human)
- Parasurama: the warrior (a hunter-gatherer, violent human),
- Rama: the ideal ruler with strict adherence to dharma, (a civilized, family man)
- Krishna: a model lover, and as another one of his famous names (Govinda) suggests: a protector of cows (indicating a farming community?),
- Buddha: the enlightened/spiritual one, and
- Kalki: a metaphor for time/eternity.